Monday, December 15, 2008

The Sounds of Christmas

Every Christmas Eve, my family reads the Nativity story out of the Bible. But I also love to read lots of other Christmas related stories through out the month. (Plus we always watch a few favorite movies, that it just wouldn't be Christmas without.)

So for this months "in between" question I thought I'd ask, What other Christmas stories are you reading this month? What Christmas story is your favorite?

I think mine is definitely the poem The Night Before Christmas
It's just a classic, it's a must read, to the kids, every year. Although, I'm very excited to introduce a few new ones this year, since my children are getting old enough, like A Christmas Carol. I read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever to my two oldest for the first time this year, and they loved it. I've never heard them laugh so hard. The only problem was my 11 year old boy thought I'd lost my mind when I started crying in the last chapter.

So,how about you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For my 6 year old daughter I check out various Christmas stories that the libraries in the area have on display for the season. From these displays I choose books about the spirit of Christmas or specifically Jesus' birth. I avoid the too cartoony, silly books that miss the deeper meaning of the season.

For my son, now 12, I've read an abridged version of A Christmas Carol to him several times. But this year, since I have the unabridged version for this month's history reading, I read that aloud. I'll save more remarks for the Jan 5 - 10 discussion!

Sharon in KY

Dianna said...

Starting the first year we were married, we've been reading The Life of our Lord by Charles Dickens. It's really simply written, and perfect for children. It's a great way to keep us focused on the meaning of Christmas.

Amy said...

Well, we always read Luke 2 on Christmas Eve. And my son loves The Polar Express, so we usually read that mulitple times. I can't really think of anything else, but maybe A Christmas Carol will be a new tradition for us after this year. :)