Friday, January 16, 2009

These Are a Few Of My Favorite Things

Like a lot of you may be, if I were asked what is your favorite book? Or what book would you take with you to a deserted island? I would say Scriptures, or the Bible etc. But what if you could take more than one?

What is your favorite book?

I would say the non-scriptural book that has influenced me the most, and that I could read, over and over, is:
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

If I were stranded on a desert island I would want it, or Swiss Family Robinson( by Johann David Wyss), or Robinson Crusoe(By Daniel Defoe) because I love those stories as well, and I could probably learn something from them in that situation. And as you know, Jane Eyre now makes the list. I like lots of books, but these are the ones I love.

I know there are seemingly numberless amounts to choose from, but what is your favorite book? And if that's really too hard a question, What was your favorite book of 2008?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, the Bible, would be my first choice, for its living and active nature that always speaks something new to me. It's surprising actually how even the most familiar of stories suddenly takes on a life or meaning I have never, ever seen in it before. Sometimes, even reading a Children's Bible Story Book to my daughter, I'll get choked up because somehow, those simple words, touch me in a new way and speak to my life, my day, my heart at that moment. I love the wonder of God's love and power in "the Word".

After that, it's easy - Tolstoy's Anna Karenina is my absolute favorite book! The character of Levin I so identify with - he is constantly seeking truth, never feels satisfied in his own mind, tries to live rightly but sees himself failing, is full of doubts and questions, yet he plods on. And in the end Tolstoy shows us in Levin's life the intimacy and joy of knowing God without destroying the mystery of it.

In my personal books-I've-read-journal, the last time I read Anna, I wrote, "Anna is a book I will always want to read one more time...no matter how many times I read it. In a world where slogans and jingles and text messages abound, it is a joy to slowly be drawn into the soul of all of mankind. We are human; we are eternal. Tolstoy reminds me of this - the depth of the soul."

And Shimmy Mom, How did your son's surgery go on Wednesday? How is he handling the recovery? How about you?

Sincerely,
Sharon in KY

Dianna said...

I've never been able to pick just one, but probably my favorite book of 2008 was The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. I can't believe I'd never read it before!

Amy said...

Right now I'd probably say Jane Eyre, it is my most recent favorite book. There are so many great books that I haven't read yet, so that might change at some point. :)