Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Eyes You Buy With

I loved this question that was recently posted on Booking Through Thursday. (My apologies to Amy, who I'm sure has already answered this.)

Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?


My eyes are definitely bigger than my book belly. I currently own at least 20 books that I haven't read yet. But when I find a good deal on a book that I know I want, I can't leave it on the shelf. (Or, often in my case, bid-less on ebay)
Plus, I'm lucky enough that my family knows how much I love to read, so they buy me books as gifts. I LOVE when they do, but they are rarely books that were already on my list, but most of them get added to my list of "I want to read"s too. But at least I know I shouldn't run out of good things to read. Especially not for a LONG time.

So how about you? What are your book buying habits?

1 comment:

Sharon in KY said...

I'm guilty of gluttony - I buy too many books, check-out from the library too many books, and assign for myself to read too many books.

Even my Bible Study time is not exempt. You'd think that by calling it my "Bible" Study time, I'd only need a Bible. But no, I add in books by CS Lewis or Fenelon or Merton. I add my own notebooks for thoughts, for prayers, for a particular study, for notes on a particular book of the Bible, etc. And finally, I clear it all away, and return to just the Bible...for a while.

Same thing happens on my desk. I have a pile of books that I'm reading. Then I divide it into two piles - the pile I REALLY want to get to everyday, and the pile I would like to read if there's time. Then the pile of books I REALLY want to read becomes too overwhelming and I have to subdivide it and for sanity's sake, remove to a shelf the pile I hope to get to someday.

I keep a log of books that I have finished and this encourages me. Though I keep several books going at once and push some aside again and again, they eventually DO get read!

And I'm starting my young daughter (6yo) down this same path. For her school day I have a pile of books we read from throughout the week for which she gives me narrations. For the evening I keep a basket of books by her bed and depending on how quickly she gets ready for bed, she can choose for me to read a bit from 1 - 3 books.

Plus we always have a family read aloud stacked somewhere and, as a backup for those nights when Pappa isn't home, a book for just me and the children.

AND I LOVE IT!!!