Friday, October 24, 2008

Fun In Between Question

I realize that this isn't a blog that we usually visit everyday, but I thought I'd put a little post on here for those who stopped by in between book posts. I was at the blog of a fellow book lover, Smilingal, who is a book reviewer, and she asked the question:
Who is your favorite literary couple?

Hers was Romeo and Juliet, written, of course, by William Shakespeare.
While I LOVE Shakespeare, I have to admit that I felt very let down at the end of Romeo and Juliet. I wanted them to live "happily ever after", not croke! lol
I think my favorite couple is Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blyth from Anne of Green Gables. (by L.M. Montgomery)
But I can't have read this months selection and not say, I also love Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.
More of my favorites include:
The parents in Swiss Family Robinson, (by Johann David Wyss) I love how their trials only strengthened their relationship, their family and their faith in God.
Lastly, I LOVE a very little known book called Love Comes Softly, by Janette Oke. It is the first in what is refered to as the Love Series. (It was made into a Hallmark movie, but it was NOTHING like the book.)
So I'd have to say that Marty and Clark are one of my favorite couples. I loved watching their relationship turn into love throughout the pages.

So how about you? Who are your favorite literary couples?

*hugs*

6 comments:

Mr. Mordecai said...

Although there are so many to choose from, one of my favorites would be Mr and Mrs. Twit.

I also like Earl and Opal Pickles, but I might have a hard time passing them off as 'literary.'

Unknown said...

I agree with ALL of your picks! I love Anne and Gilbert, Elizabeth and Darcy, and Love Comes Softly is one of my favorite books also. I love Marty and Clark and the romance of that book - I love the simplicity and reality to their relationship. I like almost all of the couples that Janette Oke writes. They seem so real to me.

I also really like Jo and Professor Bhaer in the Little Women series. I learned a lot about how to raise boys from them. ;)

And, pathetically enough, I have to admit to liking Bella and Edward from the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. They are just fun and romantic - even if it is not realistic. :)

Shimmy Mom said...

I came very close to adding Jo and Professor Bhaer as well. Love them too.

I am almost ashamed to say that I haven't read the Twilight series yet. Didn't sound like my kinda book at the time it came out and now, I have a list of "want to reads" so long, I haven't gotten to them yet.

Shimmy Mom said...

Oh and Mr. Modecai, It's funny you would say that. Because on the sight where I got this idea, one of the answers was: "Do Archie and Veronica count?" I think we have to classify comic strips as literary couples.
I haven't read the Twit's either. I will have to add that one to my list of must reads. It sounded good on Wikipedia.
*hugs to you all*

Cara said...

I really like Charles and Caroline Ingalls...they seemed like strong individuals who worked well together in their marriage. Do people count as "literary" if they're also real-life?

And all of Shimmy Mom's picks...and Edward and Bella...I'm sorry Mr. Mordecai, I have not read your characters yet, but am interested now since you've mentioned them.

Oh, yes, Anne and Captain...Wentworth(?) from Persuasion. I think I love any couple where there's that secret pining that gets to be revealed at some point. Secret devotion is such a wonderful literary element for me.

Anonymous said...

My favorite couple is Levin and Kitty in Anna Karenina. I melt when I read their wedding scene.

Sharon in KY